Species: R. uva-crispa
Binomial name: Ribes uva-crispa
Gooseberry or Amla, a tiny little sour fruit, possess maximum medicinal properties due to the presence of various poly phenolic –compounds, tannin, vitamin C, amino acids, high moisture and fiber. They are the richest source of vitamin C among all fruits, which is a powerful antioxidant. Gooseberry tree is known to be scared, as every part of it contains beneficial properties and used in various treatments including heart ailments, digestion, detoxification, reproductive and all other bodily functions.
Gooseberry, Protein Metabolism and Weight Loss
It can boost your protein metabolism. Regular intake of amla can benefit you greatly. People with poor metabolism have tendencies to gain weight more easily. The better are your metabolism, the better are your abilities to burn fat faster making you fit and slim. As amla boosts up metabolism, it is a very good food if you are looking to lose some weight. People who are obese or overweight, have a sluggish metabolism and that’s how the weight goes on increasing! Taking amla juice early in the morning will boost your metabolism and will provide you with unending energy to work out and achieve your weight goals.
The health benefits of Amla have been known to us since the ages. It is one of the best sources of Vitamin C. Other nutrients include carotene, fiber, iron, calcium, tannic acid, phosphorus and some amount of carbohydrate. The Indian Gooseberry is widely used in Ayurvedic and Unani system of medicine to cure many diseases and ailments. Here are some useful health benefits of Indian Gooseberry:
- Vitamin C: Amla is a rich source of vitamin C. It contains about 25-30 times the amount of vitamin C found in oranges. Amla has the highest content of vitamin C available in nature. Vitamin C can boost the immune system, reduce the severity of cough and cold and act as a natural antihistamine. Amla should be eaten raw for more health benefits.
- Anti-inflammatory Agent: In certain lab studies, Amla was found to be helpful in conditions like inflammation, degenerative renal disease, cancer and diabetes. Human studies to prove this are either in progress or are yet to be performed. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is very effective against hay fever which causes inflammation of the nose and eyes. It has also been found to have effectively reduced the inflammation caused by diseases such as arthritis, gout and other joint pain related diseases.
- Helps to strengthen the Liver: The prolong use of pain killer tablets, antibiotics, alcohol and medications causes the accumulation of toxins in the body. Amla helps to get rid of these harmful toxins from the body and strengthen the liver.
- Good for the Skin: Amla helps to purify and clean the blood. It can help to cure pimples and acne. It can make the skin glow and delays wrinkles.
- Good for the Hair: It acts as a natural conditioner. Amla nourishes the roots of the hair and prevents premature graying of hair. It promotes hair growth, strengthens the root and improves the texture as well. It is also effective in preventing and reducing dandruff.
- Controls Sugar and Blood Pressure: Amla helps to lower blood sugar level and cholesterol. Regular intake of amla can keep your diabetes and blood pressure under control.
- Excellent Antioxidant: Amla, being the richest source of Vitamin C, is an excellent antioxidant which fights the free radical. These free radicals are the unstable ions in the body and are responsible for degeneration of cells and ageing. Amla helps in rejuvenation by stabilizing these free radicals. Amla has a very powerful antioxidant which can protect you from the effects of harmful free radicals like the cancer, degeneration of cells in the body and premature aging.
- Better Absorption of Iron and Minerals: Certain minerals are absorbed better in an acidic medium, and vitamin C facilitates the absorption of such minerals. Amla provides a good acidic medium as well as vitamin C in abundance and thus helps in the better absorption of iron and other minerals.
- Improved Digestive Health: The vitamin C and the fiber contents of amla are excellent for boosting digestive health. They lead to better absorption of minerals and other nutrients apart from helping indigestion. Its vitamin C boosts up metabolism along with increasing body’s immunity, and its laxative effect treats constipation. Amla also improves the appetite and activates the taste buds for those who have lost interest in food due to prolonged illness.
- Detoxification: The antioxidant property of amla helps in detoxifying the liver. Those who use painkillers, antibiotics and other medications, and those who consume alcohol or are in the habit of smoking, need Amla to get rid of the toxins which pile up in the liver. This improves the overall immunity of an individual.
- Improved Skin and Hair Health: Its vitamin C content helps in purifying blood, thus keeping the skin clean and free from pimples and blemishes. Amla also nourishes hair roots and prevents premature graying of hair. It also prevents hair loss. Applying Amla juice to hair also provides good moisture to the scalp and helps against dandruff.
- Lowering of Cholesterol Level: A study conducted in a Delhi based college, states that Amla due to its antioxidant property, helps in scavenging the free radicals from the blood along with lowering the oxidation rate of the bad LDL cholesterol. Its fiber also helps in lowering the overall cholesterol content.
- Good for Diabetics: Diabetics are prone to various health problems in the long run. Taking amla on a regular basis will provide good resistance to such people against various diseases associated with the heart, liver and digestion. Amla, being low in sugar content, helps in regulating the blood sugar. Its fiber content has a similar role to play in this regard. The fiber helps in slower release of blood sugar into the bloodstream and this keeps the blood glucose level steady.
- Natural Coolant: Ayurveda considers Amla as a cool fruit. Hence this coolant is used to treat sunstrokes.
- Good for the Eyesight: Effective in the treatment of eye problems and improves eyesight. It is use to treat eye diseases like Itching, Redding and Watery eyes. It has also shown some good results in treating cataracts.
- Natural Sedatives: Amla acts as a natural sedative by relaxing the muscles in the body. It is helpful to combat stress and improves sleep too.
Mixture of Gooseberry juice or dry gooseberry powder with a tsp of honey consumed every morning can treat various health problems including obesity and related diseases.
Overall, it acts as an effective natural cure for indigestion, acidity, constipation, gastric troubles and flatulence. Amla juice is very helpful in relieving constipation in piles. Amla juice also increases the red blood cells in the body. Drinking Amla juice in hot summer season helps to keep the body cool. It also works as a brain tonic. It increases fertility, alertness and memory. Amla or Indian Gooseberry is beneficial in the case of diarrhea, bleeding and dysentery. There are so many health benefits of amla. A diet rich in amla will automatically bring health and wellness to your body and mind.