Yoga and Weight Loss
Modern lifestyle includes an abundance of packaged food with appealing food aromas, food colors, spices, refined products and even addictive ingredients. No wonder we find ourselves facing the weight gain dilemma. Yoga has always proven to be one of the best methods of reducing the weight and that too in a healthy manner. Yoga can help you lose the extra flab and make you feel good about yourself. Certain yogasanas are specifically aimed to stimulate the lethargic thyroid gland in order to increase the hormonal secretion. It’s a well established fact, since thyroid glands affect our metabolism; they are responsible for weight loss and weight gain also.
Thus, yoga acts upon metabolism of our body and increases metabolic activity and helps in reducing weight. Without performing strenuous exercises at the gym you can lose weight with simple but effective yoga poses from your home.
Some of the benefits of yoga for weight loss are:
Regular practice of yoga, benefits the body in the following ways:
- Strengthens muscles and bones
- Improves postureand body alignment
- Yoga is a natural exercise for everybody.
- Improves flexibility of muscles and joints
- Improves digestion, circulation, and immunity
- Enhances functionof neurological and endocrine organs
- Yoga can support your weight loss goals by giving a healthy direction to your life energy.
- You can build your support group at the nearest Yoga class and make friends interested in a healthy lifestyle.
- Balance your body with yoga postures. Some yoga postures, when done correctly, massage the endocrine glands and the digestive system which improves digestion.
- Prevents and provides relief from chronic illnesses, such as chronic pain syndromes, anxiety and panic disorders, depression, sleep disorders, chronic fatigue syndrome, and high blood pressure
- Lastly and most importantly, control how much, how & what you eat with yoga. Regular yoga practice can give you a valuable and unshakeable body consciousness that will help you eat less and help you eat the right food.
- Yoga can give you the energy and enthusiasm to create your weight loss plan and more importantly the inner strength required to stick to the plan. Create a strategy based on clear understanding of your problem. Get help from an Ayurveda and Yoga experts.
Yoga Asanas for weight Loss
Breathing exercise: Deep breathing increases oxygen supply to the cells of our body and helps in burning the fat cells; e.g. Kapalbharti, Pranayama, Anulom-vilom Yoga etc
Kriya: For cleaning the body and weight reduction Shankha Prakshalna and Vaman Dhauti are the best Yogasanas.
Following yoga regime regularly helps in fat management of our body. The most effective one is Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation. Here are a few weight loss yoga poses that can bring about a sea change in your physique and health on the positive front. .
- Boat Pose (Navasana)
- Ardha Matsyendrasana(Half fish Pose)
- Dhanurasana (Bow pose)
- Chakrasana( Wheel Pose)
- Bhujangasana (Cobra pose)
- Sarvangasana(Shoulder stand)
- Half Moon-Pose Ardha Chandrasana
- Paschimottanasana ( Seated forward bend)
- Extended side angle pose ( Utthita Parsvakonasana)
Each time you do it, you burn extra calories and you can rid yourself from the layers of fat on your body. These also help in toning the muscles and increasing their endurance level. Try holding yourself in these asanas for 20-30 seconds.
Weight loss Yoga Classes
There are several ways to find good yoga classes for weight loss in your locality. Local community centers may have free classes or paid classes. Gyms may have yoga classes but we suggest that you inquire with them first. You can also try online yoga databases which will have listings of yoga classes in you city. Community free classes may not focus on weight loss but they may be focused on meditation and stress control. Gyms may have special classes for weight loss but they can be expensive. Moreover, attending a class is only possible if you have an hour or two free to warm up and then work out at a group location. Most people don’t have the time though. For this reason online classes recommend and you can follow them from your home. Most websites do have live streaming classes or recorded classes that you watch and workout with online. They are usually categorized and easy to follow. It could be the best way for you to lose weight while working out from the comfort of your home.
Please note that no matter what class you use, you have to follow the guru’s instructions to the tee. Do not accelerate the program on your own and make sure that you use the right yoga equipment and clothes to prevent injuries. Using yoga for weight loss is a really great idea, not only because of the weight you lose, but also for yoga’s other added health benefits too.